Well my mom doesn’t feel like cooking, and her bf cooked last night, so I guess that means I’m the only one left; which is okay with me because I love to cook (and eat!). We need to go grocery shopping around here, but I think I can manage to scrounge up some ingredients together to make an awesome meal. Low and behold, the perfect idea has come to me: Shepherd’s Pie! Who doesn’t like shepherd’s pie?! I usually like mine with corn in it, but since we don’t have any, I’m going to improvise and substitute it for green beans. It’s a really easy recipe that doesn’t take more than 30 minutes to make.
First, this is what you need:
- 4-6 medium potatoes (peeled and cut in small pieces)
- Half a small onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 can French cut green beans (I prefer to use natural vegetables, but I can only use what I have!)
- 1 lb. lean hamburger meat
- 1 tspn. Butter
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. salt
- ½ – 1 cup shredded cheese (whatever flavor you like)
- Preheat oven at 350°F
- Cook the potatoes in salted water until soft. Use your best judgment on how much water to use.
- Chop the half onion and garlic in a food processor and sauté in a large pan using the butter so it doesn’t stick.
- When golden brown, add hamburger meat and cook until all meat is browned.
- Cut up the half tomato in 4 large chunks (If you cut them too small, you will lose the juice). This will help create the sauce.
- Once the meat is saucy, drain your green beans and throw them in the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on low-medium heat. Cover to keep hot.
- By now, your potatoes should be cooked. Drain them, put them back in the pot and add the 3 tbsp. butter. Mash. Add ½ cup of milk. More or less, depending on how creamy you like your mashed potatoes.
- In an 8” by 12” baking dish, pour in your green bean and meat mixture, evening it out. Next add the shredded cheese. Last, top it with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until mashed potatoes are a little brown on top. Serve warm.