- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large russet potatoes (peeled & diced)
- 8-10 slices cooked bacon
- 1 tbsp salt to taste
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- At least 2½ cups milk
- 1 tbsp shredded cheese (for your bowl)
- 1 tbsp sour cream (optional)
- Boil a pot of salted water. Cook peeled and diced potatoes for no more than 10 minutes. Make sure you can stick a fork all the way through but don’t cook longer than needed or your soup will be potato mush!
- Cook bacon and chop it up.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter and flour on medium high heat. Make sure to stir consistently until flour and butter is well blended. When it starts to sizzle, pour in milk GRADUALLY (a little at a time) and stir until well mixed to make it thick (At this time you may want to reduce heat to medium-low). Add salt, parmesan cheese and cilantro. Stir until sauce thickens. You will be able to see it thicken by how it falls on the sides of the pot. When it is thick enough to your liking, add remaining ingredients. Let cool and serve with remaining shredded cheese and sour cream if you like.