One of my favorite appetizers in the entire world, besides stuffed mushrooms, would have to be mozzarella cheese sticks. I absolutely LOVE anything with cheese. In fact, the more cheese, the better. I found a recipe a little while ago on Pinterest that had simple directions on how to make them. The recipe DID NOT WORK so please don’t try it. But just so you know which recipe it was, it pretty much said cut cheese sticks in half, dip them in milk and then in the bread crumbs and then bake them for 15 minutes. All that did for me was give me a baking sheet covered in melted cheese mixed with breadcrumbs. It was a huge disaster and a big mess to clean, not to mention the fact that I couldn’t even eat the stuff! It was such a waste. Well this time, I found a better recipe using an ingredient that made a little more sense for me to use, egg roll wraps. They turned out DELICIOUS. Even though they weren’t breaded, it was still a tasteful replacement. Here’s the recipe:
- 12 Wonton or Egg-Roll Wraps, at room temperature
- 12 Mozzarella String Cheese
- Marinara Sauce for Dipping
- Small bowl with water, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take one of your room-temperature wraps (less likely to break and ooze cheese all over if room-temp and slightly wet) and lay on flat surface in front of you, like a diamond. Put cheese stick in middle, corner to corner (or slightly below).
- Take the bottom corner and fold it up over the cheese stick and stick to other side of wrap tightly. You can add a few drops of the water here to make the wrap stick better.
- Carefully (here is the part where the wrap can break), fold over the right and left corners of the wrap onto the cheese stick to completely cover the cheese.
- Roll up the wrap.
- Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
Alternatively, you can make this on the stovetop.
- Wrap cheese as described above.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Working in batches, add in half of the cheese sticks. Roll/stir sticks around for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, and remove from heat.
Serve with Marinara (seasoned with oregano/basil/garlic for more flavor) and Enjoy!
This recipe was borrowed from a fellow blogger who’s link is in the opening paragraph. I didn’t bake my cheese sticks, I fried them because I felt that frying them would cook the wrap on the inside better than if I would bake them.